Friday, October 17, 2008

Reflections....

Our research project has been going on for about a month. This project mainly entails a written report and a final presentation, both of these will hone our communication skills and they will probably be a yard stick to see how much we have learnt about professional communication thus far. There are several things which I have gained an insight on from this project, and here on this post, I would like to share them with my readers.

The project started with the need for the group members to brainstorm for possible suggestions and ideas to be researched on, and here I felt that it was really a challenge to convince other people (and hence my group mates), that my proposal was compelling and reasonable. Because of the fact that many proposed idea carries with it, its own set of problems and obstacles, and only if the idea is feasible would it be suitable to be further worked upon. Hence, it is crucial that we must be realistic about our own proposition.

This problem has further implications which I think that I should be aware of. Further on, projects and proposals would once again be part and parcel of my working life. Therefore, from this episode, I felt that I should be more prudent in crafting my suggestions. Appropriate verbal communication skills should be applied as necessary to frame my arguments as succinctly and logically as possible and also to be able to convey my suggestions in a diplomatic manner without compromising on my firm stance. I acknowledge this problem to be my most significant learning experience so far.

Also while the group convenes on our series of meeting to firm out the written report, it is comforting to know that our group have been able to operate efficiently where everyone in the group discharges their role and responsibilities faithfully. All of us have busy academic schedules and yet it is still possible to achieve individual consistency in our work effort. Hence, I think in a way, this is really a commendable and positive lesson to be drawn from the project. This could be due to the fact that everyone in the group has managed to form interpersonal bonds well and this has helped the group to settle down quickly and move in a concerted manner. These interpersonal bonds have definitely improve teamwork greatly and therefore it shows to me, the importance of the need to first work up interpersonal bonds with each of the team mates and from there the foundation of teamwork is laid.

Here, I would like to thank my team mates, Ruisheng and Stephany for giving me great support throughout the whole stint. Let’s work hard for the presentation as well. And also, many thanks to our tutor, Ms Happy Goh, for her continued guidance.

Finally, to end my post, maybe allow me to interpret what being a team means. It means
Together Everyone Achieve More”.

2 Comments:

At October 23, 2008 at 9:14 AM , Blogger GuangYi said...

Hello Joanna

I agree that cohesive teamwork is crucial when deriving our written reports.

Being realistic about ones proposition is good, because it could prevent digression from the actual task at hand. On the flip side, I feel that this habit could be inhibitive if practiced too frequently.

Personally, a brainstorming session to me is about throwing out all the potential ideas first and then sieving through them to find the "good stuff".

Premature "self-censorship" might not be advantageous to one in the long run. Hope you share my viewpoint as well.

Cheers
Guang Yi

 
At October 29, 2008 at 12:24 AM , Blogger Shao Bin said...

Hi Joanna,

"Together Everyone Achieve More" = TEAM!! I love this phrase and it is so true! Everything requires teamwork, no matter is project work or in sports. The only thing depends on individual will be he/she being called for interview. That is the only time that it requires one's effort to excel. :)

Applying the appropriate verbal communication skills is necessary during discussion, while listening attentively to others is also important. Sometimes, listen attentively to others' ideas may inspire oneself to come out with some other ideas.

Overall, this project definitely enhances our skills in terms of being a team player, managing our time wisely, communicating effectively with others and writing a good report.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home